Sunday, November 6, 2011

Prior Planning when Eating Out

I experienced a practical example of the perils of eating out yesterday. I was forced to get breakfast at Starbucks near my work.

I tried very hard to size up the pastry choices and decided on the raspberry scone. I checked my calorie and fat choice later in the day.

VERDICT - FAIL

I made a very unhealthy choice that incurred 480 calories with 25 grams of fat. I should have gone with the apple bran muffin at 350 calories and 8 grams of fat. I should have known better that scones are made with tons of butter.

I did choose an Americano ( Espresso +  hot water) for my drink and used skim milk + splenda which added little calories to the scone.

Prior planning is my take-home thought to share.

1. Do your nutrition research before you go to the restaurant

Many restaurants post their nutrition information online. A little research will allow you to create your own healthy item choices before you ever step inside the restaurant

2. Consider supplementing the menu with your own food

I should have carried some healthy breakfast items with me instead of going whole in at starbucks. I could have supplemented a packed breakfast with a 150 calorie skinny latte with sugar-free vanilla syrup as my sweet treat.


No comments:

Post a Comment